TOM YUM GOONG (Thai Hot and Sour Prawn Soup)
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 750 mls (3 cups) chicken stock
- 1 stalk of lemongrass, diagonally cut
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, torn
- 2 shallots, peeled and crushed
- 100g (1 cup)straw mushrooms, cut into quarters
- 5 bird's eye chilies, crushed
- 150g (1 cup) prawns, peeled and deveined
- 45 mls (3 tbsp) fish sauce
- 5g (1 tsp) sugar
- 60 mls (4 tbsp) lime juice
- 10g (2 tsp) coriander leaves, coarsely chopped
- 20g (1/3 cup) spring onions, cut into 1 in. lenghts
- 10g (2 tsp) chili paste
- Bring stock to boil. Add galangal, lemongrass, lime leaves, shallots, mushrooms, chilies and simmer until fragrant about 2-3 minutes.
- Add prawns and simmer until they have just changed color.
- Season with fish sauce, sugar and lime juice, cook briefly about 20 seconds and sprinkle with spring onions. Remove from the heat immediately.
- Laddle in the soup, serve sprinkled with spring onions and seasoning oil.
- The soup should be spicy, salty and sour.
- For serving later is better to add prawns at last.
- Some people like to add also tomatoes to the recipe, it can be done at step 1.
- Chicken can be used as substitute, but add chicken before mushrooms and tomato.
- You can get more flavor of prawns by using also the head.